How to Care for Braces
HOW TO CARE FOR BRACES
Whether you wear traditional metal braces, low visibility braces or hidden braces, you need to know how to look after them. If you take good care of your braces, it will make them much more comfortable and effective, meaning you are going to be closer to getting your dream smile.
Follow these tips to keep your teeth and gums healthy during your orthodontic treatment:
- Carefully brushing and flossing
- Take off elastics and any other removable parts of your orthodontic appliance.
- Brush with a soft-bristled brush, and after every meal.
- Use a proxy brush to clean between braces.
- Floss once a day, have your dental professional show you the best way to floss.
- Rinse thoroughly and check your teeth in the mirror after every meal.
- Avoid eating hard, sticky or chewy foods.
- If you or your child plays a sport, it is recommended to wear a mouthguard.
- If a bracket or archwire comes loose, you need to see your dental professional right away to have it fixed.
- Visit your dentist or oral hygienist regularly for general check-ups.
At Bible Hill Family Dentistry, Dr. Morine will walk you through every step of having braces, including how to obtain excellent oral hygiene pre, during and post braces. Contact us to see how we can make your smile healthy and bright!